Terms of Service & Volunteer Guidelines
Thank you for your dedication to Riverside! Your participation in the Adopt-A-Drain Program is greatly appreciated and your well-being and safety are important to us. All volunteers are expected to conduct themselves in a safe, courteous and legal manner while participating in activities on City property or right-of-way. Please follow these guidelines:
- Wear appropriate footwear, clothing, sunscreen and eye protection (when necessary).
- Keep hydrated.
- Call 911 for emergencies.
- When possible, stay out of the street.
- When working in or around a gutter, work from the sidewalk.
- If working near traffic, wear a bright reflective work vest or bright-colored clothing.
- Cross streets at signals or crosswalks, not mid-block.
Working Near Waterways
- Always work with a partner near water.
- Watch your footing on slopes.
- Never allow children to work on steep slopes without adult supervision.
- Do not use power tools.
- Carry tools carefully to avoid hitting others.
- Always use the right tools for the job. Ask City staff if you are unsure.
- Never allow children to play with tools or to use sharp tools.
- Always keep your tools close to you and do not place them in the street.
- Before working, contact the 311 Call Center at (951) 826-5311 or email@example.com to pick up a City issed safety vest, gloves and rake.
- Remove items from the opening of the strom drain to allow storm water to readily flow into the storm drain.
- If the storm drain is full of debris and you are not able to remove it, submit a 311 request to have City crews clean the drain.
- Do not enter the storm drain.
- Always sweep, rake or shovel glass. Never pick up sharp objects with your hands.
- Separate collected materials into recycling, greenwaste and garbage and dispose of the debris in a waste receptacle for proper disposal.
- Do not sweep or rake debris into the storm drain basin.
- Never touch hazardous or medical waste. Report items to the 311 Call Center to allow a City employee to properly dispose of the item.
- Always be courteous to fellow volunteers and City employees.
- Never use vulgar language or engage in threatening or disruptive actions.
- Never make unauthorized changes to City property or right-of-way, including landscaping.
- Keep foreign mulch and soils off City property and right-of-way, unless pre-authorized by the Public Works Department.
Note: The City reserves the right to immediately withdraw support for any volunteer if, at the sole discretion of the City, the volunteer’s conduct while participating in volunteer activities on City property or right-of-way is determined to be inconsistent with these Volunteer Guidelines or violates any local, state or federal law.
VOLUNTEER WAIVER & RELEASE OF LIABILITY
I am voluntarily participating in the City of Riverside's Public Works Department volunteer program. I have read and agree to follow the Volunteer Guidelines. I acknowledge my participation does not come without the risk of injury or harm; I accept this risk, and assume responsibility for all liability and risk associated with my participation.
I agree to hold harmless, release, waive and forever discharge the City of Riverside, its employees, departments, officers and agents, from any and all claims or demands I may have by reason of any accident, illness, injury, loss, destruction or damage to property, arising or resulting directly or indirectly from my participation in this activity. I further covenant not to bring any legal action against the City of Riverside, its employees, departments, officers and agents, for any injury, loss or damage resulting from my participation in this activity.
This Waiver and Release is contractual and not a mere recital and applies whether or not injury or loss resulting from this activity is caused by an act or omission of the City, its employees, departments, officers or agents, negligent or otherwise.
This Waiver and Release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, assigns, and all of my family members, and applies to all losses, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, related to my participation in this activity.
I hereby grant permission to the City of Riverside to use photographs of me taken during this activity on its website and in other publications, at the City’s sole discretion and without further consideration.